PeaceNexus is a Swiss-based Foundation established in May 2009. It was founded by Anne Gloor and has been supported since its inception by the endowment granted by the philanthropist Hansjörg Wyss. The thinking behind PeaceNexus When philanthropist Hansjörg Wyss suggested in early 2008 to set up a foundation to address some challenges in peacebuilding that I had mentioned to him, it took me several months to come up with a plan. Identifying problems is one thing; finding ways to address them is tougher. WHY – some problems inspiring the PeaceNexus concept:
- People driving change in peacebuilding organisations (as probably in any organisation) work twice as hard, take risks in change-averse systems, and their efforts are not always acknowledged even if they succeed;
- The development of new ideas, and innovation in general, lacks funding; there is seldom a budget for it in (inter-)governmental organisations; and NGOs have trouble raising donor funding for proper project development;
- There is a lack of collaboration between organisations working on peace despite the fact that peacebuilding requires combined efforts at different levels and between different communities of expertise ;
- Despite its decisive role in development and its huge influence on governments, the business community is a neglected actor in peacebuilding.
WHAT – in response to these problems, I suggested that PeaceNexus should:
- Strengthen changemakers and innovators in peacebuilding;
- Assist impactful organisations to meet key peacebuilding challenges beyond their core-business;
- Foster collaboration between peacebuilders;
- Promote the role of business in peacebuilding.
HOW – the PeaceNexus approach we chose: PeaceNexus provides tailored advice to peacebuilding actors that we believe can make a difference. Upon a request from an organisation, we assess the problem, the organisation and the specific assistance required. We develop the project with the “client” and then hire experts to implement it (for more about the process click here). …and what it has led to Setting up PeaceNexus has been an enormous learning experience. It was seen as crazy to go out there and offer to be a nexus for established peacebuilding organisations; to fill expertise gaps; to act as a “match-maker”; and to serve as a small laboratory for new ideas. This is, however, what we have been doing since the official establishment of PeaceNexus in May 2009. This website gives you an idea of our work advising (inter-)governmental organisations, promoting responsible business and supporting NGOs. In addition to our operations, considerable efforts go into the ethical investment of our endowment fund. In 2012 we developed an ethical investment policy and carefully chose asset managers to implement it. We believe that organisations can make a difference by investing their own capital in compliance with their mission. In our case, we want to invest in companies that help stabilise conflict-prone societies. We are working on criteria to translate that ambition into practice. With a strong team in place and my resourceful successor Catriona Gourlay, former Deputy Director, taking over from me, I am now turning to new endeavours, staying connected with PeaceNexus as a board member. Anne Gloor Founder of PeaceNexus August 2014